1. Prepare skin under eyes by applying eye creme and letting it soak in for a couple of minutes. If your skin is very dry, you should apply extra layer of eye cream and let it soak in and dry. You really need to be generous with your eye cream. My three favorite hydrating under eye creams that I use are Cellular Laboratories De-Aging Eye Creme, Dr. Murad Hydro-Dynamic Ultimate Moisture, and Benefit It's Potent Eye Cream. After you apply the cream, you should blot off any excess creme with a sponge or tissue. Using eye cream is very important because it will help your concealer adhere, and it also prevents concealer from caking up and drawing attention to fine lines. I also apply a primer on the top of an eye cream. A primer helps to lock the moisture in the skin and makes the under eye area really smooth.
2. Use a brush to apply concealer along the line of demarcation - where the discoloration begins on your skin. Apply the concealer over the entire discolored area with the brush staying just slightly below your lower lash line. If you will apply concealer right up to the lower lash line, it can make your eyes look smaller. Do not extend the concealer past the line of demarcation because you can lighten skin that is already the correct color, and you'll be back where you started-with two uneven shades of skin. Serious dark circles need a serious concealer. Use a concealer one or two shades lighter than your foundation. Sometimes, I apply a thin layer of corrector first and pat it on the skin with my finger. Then, I apply a concealer on the top of the corrector. Couple more tips. Yellow concealers are a great choice for covering severe dark circles on ivory/beige skin, and golden orange concealers work well for bronze/ebony skin. If you have dark circles with blue tones, opt for salmon tone concealer over yellow tones.These shades of concealers help to counteract the look of severe discoloration. Here are my favorite concealers and correctors: Motives Liquid Correction Concealer, Motives Color Perfection Quad, Bobbi Brown Corrector, Make Up For Ever Camouflage Cream Palette.
3. With your finger, using a patting motion, stipple the concealer along the line of demarcation to blend it in. By patting it with your finger, it helps to blend in the texture of the concealer and make it invisible. You also need to conceal any darkness in the inside corners of your eyes or eyelids.
4. When applying foundation over an area you have just concealed, you need to stipple or pat it on. If you will start applying foundation with a brush or sponge, you will remove everything that you just concealed. Always use a patting motion over concealed area.
5. Finish with a light dusting of powder to set your handwork.
It is amazing what concealer can do if it is applied correctly. Do not be discouraged if you won't be able to achieve a perfect look the first time. Practicing makes it perfect.When you look good, it makes you feel good!